Thursday, December 29, 2005

End of an Era

Well, today marked the end of one year of my time-shifted work schedule. To fulfill my responsibilities as a quasi-part-time stay-at-home dad, I've been at my desk by 4:00 a.m. twice a week so that I leave by noon for the two afternoons Evelin goes in to her office. (She has cut back to part-time, half of which she works from home.)

Overall, I think I've done a pretty decent job. I like the early mornings and get a fair amount of work done when there aren't others around to raise distractions or problems or, even worse, call a meeting. And while there has been the occasional afternoon when I've really encouraged Celeste to take a nap so that I can grab 40 winks, too, I have had some great times with the little girl.

However, I think the varying wake times have taken a bit of a toll on me. So, starting in January, I'm shifting my work schedule again so that I can set the alarm clock to one time and then just leave it there. I'll be working three long days (10 hours) and two short days (6 hours) each week. I often work those sorts of hours, so I'm not concerned about the 10-hour day (11 hours when lunch is counted in), but I'll bet there will be some days that will seem even longer.

Technoarti tags:

3 comments:

Anita said...

As a psychologist who often teaches the problems of those shifted schedules, I vote that this new schedule will be much healthier.

Like what I say means anything, but i think it will be better.

mc said...

It sure sounds better to me! I can not fathom how you did that 4 am schedule...

T. Carter said...

Thanks for the medial opinion, Anita. I guess its good to know that it hasn't been all in my mind that this is unhealthy!

MC: I liked the 4 a.m. thing (I'm a morning person), but it definately took its toll ... the 6 a.m. start time should give me a bit of the best of both words -- some alone time in the office, early mornings, and my twice weekly afternoons with Celeste (and baby #2 in a few months) ...