Monday, July 17, 2006

Reaching Skyward

Every morning and just about every afternoon (the exception is when I get early enough word that the 14th Street Bridge is a hopeless mess), I drive past the Pentagon and the Naval Annex. At some point a few months ago, I noticed cranes and something happening, but it took a few more weeks before my curiosity got to the point where I had to find out what was going on.

Turns out, it's the new Air Force Memorial and while it's been interesting to see the spires go up, it's way cooler to read in the Post about the engineering marvel/oddity the memorial is, complete with energy-dampening "balls in boxes" to keep winds from knocking the spires over.

The other interesting thing, from a few weeks ago, is that the memorial ended up interferring with police radio communications.

Technorati tags:

No comments: