Thursday, August 21, 2003

Zucchini "Crab" Cakes

After the news from the doctor, we had a fairly quiet evening at home. A friend came over for dinner and I made zucchini "crab" cakes. I like this recipe, but frying seems to be a cooking skill that I have yet to master. The basics are:

  • 3 medium or 1 very large zucchini

  • 1 egg, lightly beaten

  • 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise

  • 1/2 cup corn kernels

  • 1 cup bread crumbs

  • 2 Tablespoons minced onion

  • 1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes

  • 4 pinches celery seed

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 1 Tablespoon Old Bay seafood seasoning


Peel the zucchini. If it's large, remove the seeds and pulpy interior; this step's not necessary for smaller ones with solid flesh. Grate the zucchini until you have about 2 cups, firmly packed. Put the grated zucchini into a colander, weigh it down, and drain for 2 hours or so. Mix the zucchini well with all the other ingredients. Form into small cakes and fry in a little canola oil until lightly brown on both sides.

It seems simple enough, and it is, but I don't know if I use too high a heat for the frying or what. None really burned, but some did get a little charring in places (I think mostly from the drippings from previous cakes; I had to fry them in about four batches).

No comments: