Thursday, April 08, 2004

Lyin' Husband

Yesterday morning, I told Evelin I was going to work, but it was a total lie. Instead I took a day off to try and catch up on yard work. I've been known to do this from time to time, staying home to rake up leaves or to clean the gutters. This time, it was the springtime yard jumpstart.

The grass (and ogräs and moss) was cut low, Milky Spore set out, grass seed scattered, and a little bit of fertilizer added. I also pulled more weeds, filled the birdfeeders, added beneficial bacteria to the pond, and turned the compost.

And it was all done by noon, which left time to run a load of laundry and to slip off to the National Gallery of Art to see the fantastic Courtly Art of the Ancient Maya exhibit. There are some amazing pieces in the exhibit, and one room is devoted to Mayan hieroglyphics, which statues and images of scribes and some explanations of how to break down the cartouches into the various phonetic elements. I also took in the exhibit of cubist paintings by Diego Rivera.

After the exhibits, I took the car for a wash and went to the store to make groceries. It was getting close to 4:00 p.m. at this point, and I debated going for a haircut and a shave, but instead opted to settling in to finish My Name Is Red (Benim Adım Kırmızı) by Orhan Pamuk and translated by Erdağ Göknar. Just as I was opening the book, Evelin called -- busting me for not being at work and looking for a ride home from her office as she was feeling a bit tired.

Since it was a nice evening out (and we were both home), we decided to fire up the grill and roasted some corn on the cob and Boca Italian sausages.

Other Things

Trees: The oak silks are out on some of the trees around our yard, the dogwoods and red buds are budding, the Bradford pears and cherries are shifting from flowers to leaves, and we are sure to be under a ton of pollen before too long.

BoSox: Two out of three starts in the W column. This is the year.

Paas: Jenn stored things out in Tuesday's comments. I'll post a full entry later.

No comments: