Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Cooking on Wednesdays

It takes me longer to get started on work on Wednesdays. Not because it's the middle of the week and I'm starting to get bogged down with things, and not because I'm starting to look forward to the weekend, but because Wednesday is when the Food section appears in most papers.

Part of my first job out of college involved getting newspapers from around the country to monitor reportage about the issues the association was concerned with. Wednesday papers were always the best because I could also comb through the food sections for neat recipes, wines, etc.

Fast forward a decade and Wednesdays still find me combing through food sections from across the country ... but now I do it online. Some weeks are sparser than others, but it's neat to see what wines are being recommended in Seattle or Los Angeles, what apple recipes are coming out of Boston, and what the latest things are in D.C. It also gives me a chance to read some really incredible food writers, particularly Hsiao-Ching Chou in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

Here's a list -- in no particular order -- of some of the newspaper food sections I read (some more regularly than others):* For some reason, The Times-Picayune runs its food section on Thursdays. And the website is terrible; you have to scroll through the Living section stories to pick out the food ones.
** No regular food section online, but look for Dale Carson's "Native Cooking" column among other food stories.

No comments: