Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Two Bad Bananas

Lunch was a mix of disappointment and glee. The disappointment was that the second banana I bought today was bad. I like my bananas less ripe (much greener than Evelin does), but the ones in Safeway this morning and in Trader Joe's at lunch all looked closer to Evelin's tastes that mine. Despite that a potassium craving or something prodded me to buy one in each store.

Around 10:00 a.m., I went for the Safeway banana. I picked it up and the bottom half seemed mushy. Maybe it got crushed in the bag on the way from the store to the car to the office, I don't know, but I was sad.

When I walked over to Trader Joe's to grab something quick for lunch (a Thai Kitchen Roasted Garlic rice noodle bowl, yummmmmm, even if it is a sodium-soaked prepackaged food), against better judgment I picked up a banana. It turned out to be mealy and generally gross. Again, very sad.

But, between bites of soup and throwing away the banana, I checked my e-mail and found that Pong Nan (藍奕邦) has finally launched an official website and that his debut album is tentatively due for release in June. The first cut, "熱帶魚" (Tropical Fish) (RealAudio snippet) is apparently doing well in Hong Kong, which is good to hear, and the second cut, "自知之明" (Self-Understanding), is due for release next week.

I stumbled upon Pong's music on MP3.com years ago, and really liked it. A lot is introspective piano-based stuff, kind of emo at times, but he also does some guitar-based songs that are really fun.

No comments: