Sunday, August 01, 2004

Learn' About Birthin' (Part II)

Today was the second half of the HypnoBirthing class; this time I did a bit better with the relaxation, taking a short nap during each of the two we did today.

This time, there was some more nuts and bolts information about birthing positions, what to expect during check-in at the hospital or birthing center, what would happen after the baby was born, when to call, when to go, etc., along with some more relaxation exercises. It all ended with a run through of what we'd be doing during the different phases of labor.

All in all, I think this is going to work. As I told Evelin during our lunch break, I think I do feel a little cheated that we aren't getting the various things I've seen on TV, but I think that's more about me thinking I'm missing out on a pop culture touchstone than worrying that we've not gotten some information that could prove helpful.

I also figured out today who the instructor reminded me of: Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. There were some physical characteristics that matched up with the description of Umbridge, but the big thing was this little laugh she kept letting out at various points throughout the class.

No comments: