Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Sleep, Precious Sleep

I don't know what it is, but last night Celeste was up a ton, and tonight/this morning I was the insomniac. For Celeste, we think part of it might have been her stomach. She's been changing how much and when she eats, which is understandable as she's still growing a lot but it's not quite the same as during her first year. So when she had three vegetarian meatballs, some peas, some mango and some other stuff for dinner in the 5:00 p.m. hour, it seems it wasn't quite enough to hold her all the way to morning. (She may have also had some of the leftover spaghetti squash with asparagus and ricotta that I made on Friday; it's bulky but spaghetti squash is so calorie-lite that it doesn't really stick with you too long.)

She went to bed a bit past 7:00 p.m. and woke at 9-something, around 11 or midnight, again at 3:00 a.m., and then pretty much every half hour until Evelin nursed her back to sleep at 5:00 a.m. or so. I know, bad parenting for not realizing that she was hungry, but the usual soothing strategy — replace pacifier, make sure blankie is in her hands, pat her head and/or back — was working, just not for very long.

Last night, we gave her a little second dinner/heavy dessert just before her bath, and she was sleeping when I left for work. There were some little sleep cries on and off through the night, but none of them necessitated soothing or other intervention.

But for me (and Evelin, too, to a degree), there was a lot of awake time. I went to bed around 9:30 p.m., but woke up a little past midnight. After about 90 minutes of twisting and turning, I went downstairs to read until it was time to head in to the office. If it hadn't been one of my early mornings to work, I might have been better able to get back to sleep, but I kept looking at the clock and thinking that I have to be up in two hours and that just dinna help things.

I guessing, even if Celeste slept well, this afternoon is going to be rough for me if not for her ...

Technoarti tags:

No comments: