Wednesday, May 24, 2006

On the Road Again

I didn't end up taking off for lunch until around 1:00 p.m. today, but I did manage to get in another bike ride. Instead of rehashing the same path I rode Monday, I looked over a few Google maps, found a way through some neighborhood streets I've never been on to a park with a hiker-biker trail and headed out. Pretty soon, I remembered why I hate the Virginia suburbs. Actually, it's probably a good use of land — fairly dense development that fits the topography of the land while preserving some close-in green space — but I have a lot of trouble with cul-de-sac after cul-de-sac after cul-de-sac.

Needless to say, I got lost. I eventually found the trail I was looking for, but I'm not sure what part of it, because it dinnae connect up with Holmes Run like I expected it to, and I ended up twisting through another bit of circa-1975 suburbia. I eventually saw the back of a tall building near my office and found my way back to a road I knew, but I'm going to have to either (a) stick to routes I know I know or (b) find (and bring with me) a better map ...

Still, taking some rough guesses as to what roads I traveled on, I think I only went about 4.5 miles and since I was a bit skittish about heading off in a different direction, I ended up only going out for about a half hour.

Technorati tags:

2 comments:

Karen said...

I definitely miss bikeriding. We didn't do a ton of it in Minnesota, but at least it was always an option. Minnesota is criss-crossed with bike trails, many of which are old, paved railroad tracks. And of course we lived in South Minneapolis, with miles and miles of bike trails winding around the lakes and alongside Minnehaha Creek.
South Carolina is not a bike friendly state.

T. Carter said...

The thing that frustrates me is that there are a ton of trails here in D.C., but the ones I want to use (for example to commute to work) don't connect up very well. Some bits of the trail system meet up via roads (a few of which are very busy and not bicycle friendly); other connections are still in the planning phase ... and have been for years.