Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Election Day

It took me about 15 minutes to vote once the polls opened; I queued up about a half-hour before the polls opened, however. Showing up at 6:30 a.m., I was about the 20th person in line, but people were falling in line behind be rather quickly. By the time the doors to the middle school's gym opened, the line was looped through the hallway, out the door, across the parking lot, and down the hill to the sidewalk. I'd guess there were nearly 100 people there and it was definitely the longest line I've seen at the polls ever.

Evelin and Celeste went to vote when they thought the pre-work rush would be over. No luck. She called me from the line, which was still out almost to the sidewalk around 9:30 a.m.; she called again when they got home -- it was about two hours later.

All day long, I saw people everywhere with I Voted!/¡Yo Voté! stickers.

On my way home, I flipped by the school to see how the lines were. People were still headed inside (and there were more and more cars headed into the parking lot), but no line stretching outside, at least not at 6:45 p.m. or so.

[Full Disclosure: This entry was composed after the election. I'm sure it would have been a lot more excitement and optimism had I written it up Tuesday afternoon.]

No comments: