Thursday, July 14, 2005

Freecycle Strikes

I've mentioned how much Evelin loves giving stuff away on Freecycle (one of her first comments after I bought the new phones was, "So, I can Freecycle the old ones, right?"), but tonight we made the deal for our first Freecycle intake — an old dishwasher.

Despite my previous efforts, the leaking on our old dishwasher continues, so when Evelin saw someone offering a dishwasher for free, she jumped. Unfortunately, that was a week or so ago and it was taken by the time she could e-mail. But this evening she checked her e-mail and the dishwasher was once again available and she pounced.

I have a great deal of trepidation about this (mostly about actually moving the Freecycled unit into the T.R.U.C.K., moving it from the T.R.U.C.K. to the kitchen, and then moving the old unit out to the curb), and the fact that we have to pick it up tomorrow morning adds to my concerns, but we'll see ... I guess, at worst, we either have to say "sorry, but we're passing" when we get there in the morning, or we have to pay a neighbor kid to help wrestle the thing into our house. And then I get to see about connecting a water in, a water out, and the electrical (and hopefully that'll be all there is to it).

[UPDATE: Okay, fears of weight were greatly undeserved (at least for the Freecycled unit; I won't know how much our old dishwasher will end up weighing until tonight or tomorrow). D---, the guy who was giving it away, and I braced ourselves when we went to lift it and almost through the thing into the ceiling; it was a lot lighter than we'd guessed. It fit okay into the T.R.U.C.K., although one of the hoses hadn't drained all the way, dumping some water into the back of the vehicle, but it wasn't too bad. The unit is older than our current one, I think, but hopefully it will install easily and, most importantly, not leak.]

No comments: