Monday, July 25, 2005

You Don't Have Laces?

After our hike yesterday, I started wondering if a rear-view mirror that could clip on to my glasses would help keep an eye on what's going on with Celeste while she's in the Piggyback. The Piggyback comes with a small mirror on a bungee cord, but it takes a bit of effort to stretch it out to an angle where Celeste can be seen and I've been known to step off the trail and/or into a tree while paying attention, so walking while trying to position the mirror could prove a bad thing in the long run.

Poking around at REI during lunch I found this CycleAware Heads Up! "eyewear-mounted mirror." I think it'll work, although the clip doesn't really snug down on the thin arms of my usual pair of eyeglasses. We'll see.

While there, I also wanted to pick up a new pair of boot laces. Adventure store. Big hiking boot department. No laces. Apparently, they've been out of stock or something for a while now and hope to have some in by the end of the week. That just seems wrong to me.

Other Things

SLEEP: Last night, Celeste did better that I did. She did wake up around 11:00 p.m. and Evelin fed her, but after that she slept through until about 6:00 a.m. I woke around 4:00 a.m. and headed down to the couch to read for a bit, and thus was ready to spring into action for those first few cries. A quick pacification and blanket straightening and she was back asleep for another half hour. I considered this a good night; Evelin, who was the one who woke at 11:00, was less sure. We'll see how tonight goes — Celeste often wakes about 15 minutes after I leave the house on my early-morning days.

HUMOR: McSweeney's has a great selection of George W. Bush jokes, although "some of them seem gratuitous and mean-spirited." (Via White House Briefing of all places)

No comments: