Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Sleepless in the Lobby

Urgh, finally I can get into my office. I was tossing and turning, so Evelin gently suggested I go read or something. Instead, even though it wasn't yet 2:00 a.m., I decided to head into the office. Delays with a contract publishing gig bollixed up my normal magazine's schedule by a week or so, and the hope is that putting in a superlong day today will get things back where they're supposed to be.

However, when I got in to the building, one elevator was stuck on 4; the other on G.

It's an old building with elevators that are probably well beyond their expected time of service. I haven't been stuck in one, although a colleague or two has, but I have had them misalign with the floor I'm getting off on by up to a foot before. But at this point, I dinna know if the elevators were broken or if S---, the overnight maintenance guy, had them stuck on certain floors for a reason (that sometimes happens).

Since I'm the only one who seems to come in when he's there in the middle of the night, S--- and I have a system: I bang on an elevator door whenever I hear a vacuum pass nearby the shaft, and he tried to keep an eye out for my car.

Of course, this morning, I was in the T.R.U.C.K. because it needed an oil change. And S--- wasn't in control of the elevators. After about 35 minutes, I heard a banging on the outside lobby doors, it was S--- checking to see if it was me who was hitting the elevator doors. Turns out both lifts were stuck, and he didn't recognize the T.R.U.C.K., otherwise he would have been able to let me into the stairwell earlier ...

No comments: