Saturday, July 24, 2004

Tessie You Are the Only, Only, Only

I'm treating myself to a little martini tonight (Luksusowa vodka with blue cheese stuffed olives) in celebration of the Beloved BoSox's come-from-behind win in a long, tortured game against the Hated Yankees.

The lyric at the top of the entry is from "Tessie" the song Nuf Ced McGreevey and the Royal Rooters [MP3 on linked page] used to cheer on the 1903 Boston Pilgrims to victory in the first World Series. Last night, the Dropkick Murphys opened the series with New York with their updated version of the song (mentioned in Boston Sports Media Watch). The magic didn't take hold last night, but tonight it did.

The original chorus is:
Tessie, you make me feel so badly,
Why don't you turn around?
Tessie, you know I love you madly;
Babe, my heart weighs about a pound.
Don't blame me if I ever doubt you,
You know I couldn't live without you
Tessie, you are the only, only, only.
The new version tells the full story of McGreevey and the Royal Rooters, which directly ties the song to baseball (unlike the original, which is from a musical entitled The Silver Slipper). The new chorus is:
Tessie, Nuf Ced McGreevy shouted
We're not here to mess around
Boston, you know we love you madly
Hear the crowd roar to your sound
Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
You know we couldn't live without you
Tessie, you are the only, only, only
Last year, it was Cowboy Up; this year it may be a 101-year-old song ... whatever it takes.

No comments: