Thursday, September 04, 2003

Keep the NFL away from my commute

I have never really been a fan of the National Football League (I much prefer my football when its sanctioned by FIFA or the AFL); I can watch a football game, and I often watch the Super Bowl for the adverts, but this morning apathy turned to antipathy when the NFL disrupted my commute. And this evening is sure to be worse. I've been seeing the giant Pepsi Vanilla and AOL Broadband logos over The Mall for a few days now, and I knew this big kickoff concert/marketing event was going on, but I guess I didn't really think about how it would mess up my drive to/from work until I tried to turn on to Madison Dr. NW and it was blocked off. And, according to The Washington Post and other sources, traffic is going to be shite this afternoon due to many roads being closed downtown, the big concert on The Mall and the game tonight out at FedEx Field.

Yesterday, I ended up taking off early from work (and, of course, several problems arose just as I was needing to leave) to sit around the Hyundai dealership for about an hour and a half. On Monday when we went hiking, a noise started up in the AC blower fan; it turned out to be some leaves or something that were sucked up into the venting system and were stuck in the fan. I thought it was something like that, but I didn't want to void any of the warranty by disassembling things by myself. The dealership wasn't too bad: After about an hour I was told the car was fixed, but it turned out to be a miscommunication. The problem had been diagnosed and I had to wait a while longer for them to actually fix things. Other than that, no troubles.

Not that the Hyundai isn't doing everything I need it to do, but if I found a spare £150,000 laying around, an Aquada Sports Amphibian would be quite fun to drive. I could hop into the Anacostia at Bladensburg and drive down to the Potomac to get to work, avoiding all the NFL hoopla along the way.

No comments: