Monday, September 22, 2003

Life After Isabel (Part II)

Hurricane Isabel stunk up my office. Well, the home front made it through the storm with only a loss of some frozen foods, but my office got soaked. The building I work in was built in the 1940s or '30s for the Navy (I think that's right) but in the 1960s or '70s it was turned into commercial office space. About 20 years ago, the company I work for moved in, about four years ago we bought the building, but last year the building was sold again. During the past 10 years that I've worked here, the building has always been a bit on the crappy side. This part of Northern Virginia is definitely being revitalized with many of the buildings and shopping centers in the area getting facelifts; our building, however, remains a blight on the neighborhood.

For years now, we've had problems with windows leaking during heavy winds and rains. During Isabel, most of the offices on the eastern side of the building ended up getting drenched. Thankfully, one of my coworkers came in on Saturday and opened up the windows to try to help air things out some. It still stinks in my office, but I was lucky in that I don't have too many things on that side of the office. A few papers got wet, but nothing was destroyed.

No comments: