Monday, August 30, 2004

Down on the Boardwalk

On our way to the Jersey Shore on Saturday, I was trying to figure out why I have become a bit ambivalent about the beach. As a kid, we spent a lot of time on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. We had family in Pass Christian and would spend time swimming in Bay St. Louis and walking along Long Beach.

To me, that is the beach "experience." Either the quiet expanses of Long Beach that we'd walk along in the morning seeing what the tide'd washed up or swimming and fishing off the pier and waterskiing in the bay.

I like going to beaches like Assateague that are wild and remote, or going to the shore in the dead of winter when everything is shuttered, but the Mid-Atlantic beach culture, built around the boardwalk, is just too busy, too crowded, too much for me.

No comments: