I'm not sure if it's just a slightly addled mind or muscle memories taking over, but I don't remember having such frequent lapses when switching between automatic and manual transmission cars in the past.
Over the years, I've tended to alternate between standards and automatics:
- '78 Volkswagon Super Beetle — manual
- '86 Mitsubishi Mirage — automatic
- '97 Honda Civic — manual
- '90 Madza 626 — manual (Evelin's car that I took over after the Honda was totaled)
- '03 Hyundai Elanta — automatic
- '99 Honda CR-V — manual (Evelin's car, but I'm driving it some)
I guess it's all a matter of adjusting.