Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Baby Owner's Manual

I haven't been reading all the pregnancy books Evelin has, largely because the entire process doesn't effect me as directly at it does her. I've skimmed most of them, but she's been reading them cover to cover.

This week, I started picking up some "your baby's first year" books. These I figure I need to read. Monday night, I went through the first six or eight weeks of Your Baby's First Year Week by Week by Glade B. Curtis and Judith Schuler and came away with a strong sense that we are doomed.

Last night, I read through most of The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips, and Advice on First-Year Maintenance by Louis Borgenicht and Joe Borgenicht. In most cases, I don't like to succumb to male stereotypes, but the entire idea of approaching baby care the same way you approach setting up a stereo, configuring a new computer, or programming a VCR was comforting to me (and not just because I'm quite comfortable approaching such tasks without using the manual). Plus the schematics in the book are hilarious. (Amazon lets you look inside the book: It's worth a peek.)

No comments: