Monday, July 07, 2003

Identity Theft

So last night I got a good scare. Calling to check something on my credit card, I found out that somehow my address had been changed to somewhere in California. Needless to say, the next hour or so of going through a couple of different people at the security department and other parts of the credit card company were less than fun... Since a new card now is going to be issued, I have to start trying to figure out how many different things are tied to that card number: Upromise, SpeedPass, EZ-Pass, Internet access, ... and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

In a less identity-theft-anxiety-provoking theme, we went downtown for the last day of the Folklife Festival, getting to catch a little talk about scotch whisky, some singers from the Orkney Isles, bluegrass from the Bluegrass Travelers and the O’Quinn Brothers, a few really funny stories at a West Virginia Liar’s Contest, and a look at traditional crafts from Mali. Oh, and it was super hot... blaugh.

Before heading downtown, we got to check out a different folklife culture in College Park -- the new Ikea. That place is huge, but I don't think it's fair of them to have all these really cool Swedish books on display and then not allow them to be sold. They also had giant bottles of lingonberry juice concentrate, so now I’m trying to find a recipe for lingonberry wine to see if I can use the juice to make a batch of wine or even port ...

No comments: