Friday, July 11, 2003

Lots of lightning

Last night we were up quite a bit thanks to the storms. I don't think I've seen lightning like that since I was a kid.

Starting in the early evening there were lots of reports of "high-level circulations" that could indicate conditions ripe for tornado formation, mostly to the south and west of us. However, by about 10:30 or so, the early bits of lightning were reaching us. About quarter past midnight we were awoken by tons of thunder and lightning. It really was amazing. The rain started soon after that and the power went out, but only for a few minutes. By 1:30 or so, it was all over and (as best I could tell on my way to work this morning) little to no damage seems to have befallen the neighborhood. Despite all the noise and flashes of light, the winds didn't hit us that badly. The rain was enough to overflow the pond, however; and the bed of carrots looks like it's back underwater.

It may rain some more this morning, but hopefully it'll all dry out enough that I can cut the grass at some point this weekend.

No comments: