Thursday, March 03, 2005

Danger! Danger!

She's down for the moment, but today is obviously going to be difficult.

About 15 minutes after I left for work this morning, Celeste woke up ... for the day. Evelin said that she was up from 3:30 a.m. or so until about 6:30 a.m. when she went down for a half-hour nap. She's had one or two other 30 to 45 minute naps today, but that's it. I'm really hoping she power sleeps until about 5:00 p.m. right now; a three-hour nap might give her what she needs to get back on schedule (6:00 p.m. or so bath with bed time sometime before 7:00 p.m.) and to only wake up three times overnight — and to go back to sleep after said wakeups, of course.

The one thing I think may have been the difference is that she came to our bed fairly early last night, around 9:00 p.m. Maybe she figured that after six hours in the big bed, it's time to start the new day. When she starts co-sleeping at 1:00 a.m., that's fine (heck, 7:00 a.m. is better than fine), but not when she wants to wake at 3:30 a.m.

[UPDATE (3:22 p.m.): Well, that didn't work. I went in at the half-hour mark to try the prëemptive soothing and it worked for about 15 minutes. And then, when I thought her REM sleep phase was over, I stepped back, the floor creaked and she woke up with a start. I thought for a moment she'd get back to sleep but she had other ideas.

Right now she's cycling between smiles and cranky looks, playing in her exersaucer, but I'm sure we'll have at least one more nap-battle this afternoon ...]

Other Stuff

Her Name: Celeste definitely knows her name, at least when I say it. It's not like Evelin has a strong New England accent or that I have some identifiable Louisiana drawl, but when I say her name, Celeste turns to look at me. Evelin doesn't get that reaction, but Celeste will look at her when she says "Hey, Sweetie." I guess it's what she hears most from each of us or something.

Red Sox: Finally! Tonight is the first game of spring training for the Beloved BoSox. They're playing the Twins, first pitch is at 7:05 p.m. (EST), and MLB TV is streaming the game for free. I have a feeling, unless I've collapsed by 7:00 p.m., that we're going to see how well this new computer (and dial-up connection) handles a video feed.

Computer: Thinking of Evelin's new computer, it's been here for a few weeks now and we're both liking it a lot. It's a Dell Inspiron 6000, and I customized what's on it to suit our needs. It's a lot faster than the old Gateway, but we are definitely feeling the limits of dial-up and will probably have to bite the bullet and get DSL sooner rather than later.

Whenever we do that, we'll probably set up a wireless network (whether I've gotten around to upgrading my computer in the basement yet or not), but I'll be sure to secure it — unlike the two networks in our neighborhood that this computer keeps sniffing out. If I knew whose they were, I'd try talking to them about it, but for now we just have to deal with little balloon alerts from XP that a wireless network has been detected ...

No comments: