Tuesday, March 08, 2005

My Little Girl Is All Growed Up

Well, not really, but she did have her six-months check up today, and passed with flying colors. Evelin scheduled the appointment for the afternoon so that I could go (as opposed to the four-month checkup, which I had to miss because it was during a busy time at work).

She's now 15 pounds 10 ounces (1 pound, 1 ounce shy of trebling her birth weight), 2412 inches long (it looks like they messed up measuring her height at the five-month visit), and her head circumference is 17 inches. She also got four jabs — DTaP (two jabs), Prevnar, and HIB.

She's eating oatmeal, apples, pears, butternut squash, acorn squash, and, as of Sunday, sweet potatoes. Rice cereal was quickly discarded as being icky.

And ... tonight she found her feet. Or at least she gave them two good grabs during her bath and then a few during post-bath naked baby time on the changing table. I cheered and clapped whenever she grabbed them, but after three or four times, she just started lifting her feet up and holding her hands near them before looking over to see what I would do. Obviously, she views me as a trained monkey or, considering that I need a haircut/beard trim, a dancing bear.

The doctor was happy with her eating and weight/height gain, reflexes, sounds, looks, etc. We talked about her sleep and he didn't really have much to offer, but he also didn't express any concerns, other than saying not to breastfeed her when she does the 45-minute wakeup thing (which Evelin'd stopped doing a while ago).

Thinking of the sleep, last night Celeste had a bit of relapse of sorts. She went down as usual, but then woke up at 12:30 a.m. and wanted to scream. Evelin asked me to try to console her, which lead to me picking her up and Celeste crying harder. Evelin tried to ask me something, but I couldn't hear her with the in-ear wailing going on, so Celeste and I walked into my and Evelin's bedroom and Evelin said "Oh, she's coming to bed with us?"

I hadn't intended that, but we were all there, so we put her in the big bed and she proceeded to flail around for a while and to grab both of our noses for about a half hour. She eventually fell asleep, but was still in and out of sleep for the next few hours, finally waking to feed about 15 minutes after I left for work in the 3:00 a.m. hour.

This morning, she had two good naps before we went to the doctor, which meant she was quite sociable — talking a lot to the nurses, the doctors, people in the waiting room. She fell asleep in the car on the way home from the doctor, and slept in her bucket for a little while after we got home, but after that she was awake (and sometimes grumpy) for the rest of the day.

She did have a nice meal of apples-butternut squash-oatmeal-with-a-splash-of-breast-milk mixed up around 5:00 p.m., followed by some sweet potatoes, followed by a 2-ounce bottle (I'd fed her the other half-bottle before we went to the doctor). At first she wasn't too willing to eat the blended concoction, but I took a bite and she looked at me like "Hey, esse, that's mine!" and then quickly ate the rest of the bowl and then demanded more.

Right now, she's asleep and I'm really hoping for an easy night ...

No comments: