Monday, January 09, 2006

Rough Morning

This whole new schedule thing is supposed to make sure I get more sleep: Apparently, I forgot to give Celeste the memo. After her big afternoon, Celeste was pretty tuckered out and ended up in bed around 6:30 p.m., about 45 minutes earlier than her normal bedtime. But she ended up waking up around midnight with the normal middle-of-the-night unrest that could be soothed.

Then she woke at 3:00 a.m. I got up and tried to soothe her, but she felt a little warm, so I left her for a moment to get the thermometer. She didn't like that and started wailing, which got Evelin up. Her temperature seemed normal, although I'm never sure I use that ear thermometer correctly, and I picked her up to try and soothe her back to sleep — the wailing got worse and Evelin took over. Around 3:30 a.m., Evelin came back to bed saying Celeste was calm and back in her crib, but her eyes were open.

At 4:00 a.m., she started crying again. I went in and she was standing up at the foot of the crib stomping her feet. I picked her up and tried soothing her some more. She did calm down a little bit while I sang a lullaby, but she started squirming and wanting to play. Finally, after she tried to steal my glasses for the eighth time, I asked her if she wanted to stay with me or go back to her bed. She said bed, but began to protest as soon as I put her down. Evelin then suggested I bring her to our bed.

At this point, my alarm was going to go off in a half-hour or so, so I got dressed and headed off to work. Except my battery was dead. I was cleaning up and futzing with the T.R.U.C.K. and the Hyundai last night, so maybe I just didn't close the door all the way and the dome light stayed on to drain the battery — that's the only thing I can figure. I used the T.R.U.C.K. to jumpstart the Hyundai and then headed off to work (making a quick detour back home because I thought I'd forgotten to lock the T.R.U.C.K.). Hopefully it was just a fluke; I'll check the car at lunch to see if there's any problem.

While I was driving, Evelin called to say she'd put Celeste back in her crib with a book: She spent the 30 minutes or so she was in the big bed flipping and sitting and tugging Evelin's nose and hair. She eventually fell asleep around 5:30 a.m. (Evelin things) and was still asleep around 7:30 a.m., but Evelin said she though she was hearing some starting-to-wake noises.

[UPDATE: Evelin just called and Celeste slept until 8:19 a.m. Evelin put me on speakerphone and I asked Celeste if she had a wild night; apparently she nodded yes.]

Technoarti tags:

No comments: