Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Falling Over Niagara

I just don't know what to say: Man survives Niagara Falls plunge. I know when Evelin and I went to Niagara a few years ago (after her sister's wedding), we were really impressed by the falls and it is easy to see sort of easy to see the appeal in plunging over it (excepting, of course, for the certain death -- almost certain death, I guess I have to say now).

At least one TV station is reporting that the jump was a stunt, not a suicide attempt, which is even more screwed up. CNN has an eyewitness account; Reuters quotes the Globe and Mail as saying that "He [the jumper] declined the offer of help from a Maid of the Mist tour boat and swam to shore."

Actually, it would be neat to go back to Niagara Falls, not to jump, just to spend more time in the region. We did the falls area in one day, having camped along Lake Ontario the night before and then driving off in the afternoon for dinner in Buffalo and eventually finding a B&B somewhere in New York to spend the night. It would be nice to see some of the old forts along the river and lakeshore, as well as a Niagara vineyard or three. The War of 1812 sites we saw on that visit weren't too exciting, but it was mostly just places we stumbled on. If I actually researched things before we went, I probably could cook up some neat sights.

No comments: