Sunday, February 06, 2005

Before 10:00 a.m. ...

This was the sort of day that I like. At a bit after 10:00 Evelin and I are sitting down and she says, "Hurm, we've already done a lot today." Celeste was up around 7:30 a.m. so as soon as she was fed, changed, and dressed, we bundled her up and headed to the zoo to see the cheetah cubs. They were quite cute, although they were staying towards the back of their enclosure, and only one was really zipping around.

It was the first time I'd been to the zoo in a while (since November, I think), so I wanted to wander around a bit so see how everyone was doing and how construction on the Asia Trail was going. Mei and Tian were outside and dead asleep with their faces away from the six of us who'd come to see them. I did see B---, one of the panda keepers, but she was busy so I didn't get a chance to say hello. The giraffes were being pretty cute, engaging in a little play wrestling — I've never seen giraffes do that before, but they're both juvenile males, so it's not surprising; for the most part they were pushing shoulders against each other and trying to snake their necks around each other, jockeying for position. We also saw the seals getting fed.

Celeste was inside my jacket in the BabyBjörn and actually stayed awake for the entire trip. Usually her morning consists of a couple of short naps, but this morning she had a long wake period, which seemed to mess up her routine a bit. Still she's had a good day otherwise.

The other thing we did before 10:00 was make waffles — the cornmeal waffle recipe from Fannie Farmer. Cornmeal waffles with blueberry jam is a very good thing.

The rest of the day was a mish-mash of things: farmers market, grocery store, laundry, napping, some playtime, applesauce, ...

At the farmers market I picked up some delicata and acorn squash. Acorn squash is one of the next solids on the list for Celeste to try, and the delicata looked worth trying. (Truth in blogging: I know I haven't had delicata squash before, and I'm pretty sure I've never had acorn squash before ...) I did a little googling and I'm going to stuff the squash with mushrooms and cranberries; we'll see how it turns out.

No comments: